Thursday, May 28, 2009

GED classes?

Are any of the HPL locations still offering GED classes?? I couldn't find it in the COE or on the online calendar. I can't remember which locations had it.

If HPL doesn't offer classes anymore, can we put together a couple of contacts to direct people to?

~katie

Vinson was the only location offering GED classes at HPL, but have been discontinued
  • North Harris College - Provides free ESL, GED and Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes in Aldine, Spring, Humble and Tomball areas. Call 281-260-3576.
  • Literacy Advance of Houston - Call 713-266-8777 for ABE, ESL & Literacy
  • Harris County Public Library Literacy Coordinator - Call 713-749-9035 for Literacy
  • Cage Elementary - GED classes are held Tuesdays and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. throughout the school year. Interested persons should register with Rose Amaro at (713) 926-7061.

~Paty

4 comments:

Darcy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darcy said...

Let's try this again ...

I usually point people toward Houston Read Commission as they have multiple locations and classes in languages other than English.

http://www.houread.org/default.aspx?name=programs

Other ideas?

Somer said...

I think it was Vinson that used to have the GED classes, and I have heard that they no longer have them. You can direct them to HCC, in addition to the resource Darcy posted. ~Somer

Saima said...

Here's some additional info that I use for chat/email questions about GED classes:
Houston Community College:
http://www.hccs.edu/hccs/future-students/ged-adult-basic-education

Texas Education Agency:
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ged/

Houston Independent School District:
http://tinyurl.com/cop3b6