Twice this week I was at the WD and people would come to me to hold their books for a few minutes (so they can go back to work to get their card) or an hour (have to go home to get the card). I don't want to hold books here are the Welcome Desk. How is th best way to handle this?
Jackie Pierce
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree WD isn't the place for it.
We could put them on the hold shelf either using their account (verified by some ID) or ILST ILST (but their name on the slip, of course).
Alternatively, we could set a time limit--"I'll be glad to hold these books at this desk until 2PM, when my shift is over." If they don't come back, put the books on the book cart in R1 and tell the next person at WD what you did.
Other ideas?
It's one thing if they are running to the restroom or to the car to get their library card/flash drive and will be gone less than 5-10 minutes.
It's another when they're coming back a couple of hours later.
It is better customer service to place things on hold on the hold shelf on 1 so that ANY STAFF can find the items. (unless they are reference books...which I feel should *never* be put on a hold shelf on 3 or 1)
And, if those items are properly put on hold, the customer gets a notification or they get cleared after a 10 days if not picked up.
Post a Comment