If someone calls in TR and asks for a book to be sent to another Neighborhood Library, which is preferable: a) to go and get it and put it into transit; or b) to put a hold on it through Millennium?
If possible, I would prefer not to make it a Stacks request, as staff is very short-handed and sometimes the request can get lost in translation. Better ultimately to follow it through to the end. Thanks!--Darcy
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Personally, I feel better if I do the shelf check in the stacks and pull the book myself. If I can't locate it, then I will do a request, just in case I was looking in the wrong place.
Re: books for branches (regardless of STKS or reg shelves)
If the patron wants the book sent to the branch, I thought we were supposed to just put a hold on it and let the title page work its magic. (of course you're free to go pull it yourself...but I dont think you should leave TR to do it)
I thought this was because customers coming to CEN are making that special trip, where customers going to branches are going to have to wait 2-4 days anyways.
It is a special case if they have had the hold and it hasnt been filled...
I agree with Katie: if the pick up location is an NL, then I just place the item on hold. If patron is coming to CEN, then I shelf check, place item on hold, check it in, print hold wrapper and place it on the hold shelf.
If hold hasn't been filled, then I shelf check as part of providing excellence in customer service.
I don't think it is a good idea to submit a retrieval request for an NL hold.
I think I misread the post at first. If the book from stacks will be sent to a neighborhood library, and I haven't specifically been asked to do a shelf check, I just put a hold on it. Like Saima said, if it's a hold that hasn't been filled, I will go check. Also, if someone needs it sent to a NL and needs it within a couple of days, I will go pull it myself to make sure it gets into delivery ASAP.
Post a Comment